Preventing Hair Loss Naturally
If you are struggling with hair loss, there are multiple natural ingredients that can be effective treatments. Certain types of hair loss, especially androgenic alopecia (pattern baldness), can be especially receptive to certain herbal remedies. In this post, we’ll dive into the science behind hair loss and how you can boost hair loss with natural ingredients.
DHT: The Primary Cause of the Most Common Form of Hair Loss
While there are multiple types of hair loss, the most common form in adults is called androgenic alopecia. Also known as pattern hair loss, androgenic alopecia is primarily caused by a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is an androgen, a class of hormones that are responsible for masculine physical characteristics in both men and women. When you are younger, DHT production in your body can be highly beneficial. The hormone plays an important role in the changes that occur in your body during puberty, contributing to the transformation from childhood into adolescence.
However, your body’s production of DHT continues to increase as you get older. While the hormone was once beneficial for your physical development, it can eventually cause problems for your hair. Excess DHT production can disrupt your hair’s natural cycle of growth, causing visible changes to the way your hair grows. In certain parts of your head that are especially vulnerable, DHT can constrict your hair follicles, causing slower and sparser hair growth.
The follicle-constricting effects of DHT can eventually lead to the development of pattern hair loss or androgenic alopecia. Pattern hair loss gets its name from how DHT causes your hair to thin out – not all over your head but in specific areas. For men, this typically means the classic “balding” look – a receding hairline and a growing bald spot at the top of the head. For women, androgenic alopecia typically causes the most thinning at the crown.
Androgenic alopecia is extremely common, and the negative effects of DHT on hair growth affect both men and women in massive numbers. Over half of men over 50 and over a quarter of women over the same age deal with some form of pattern hair loss, and many men and women start struggling with the condition as early as their 30s. Fortunately, androgenic alopecia is easy to recognize, and the sooner you start treatment, the higher your chances are of preventing the condition from progressing.
What Role Do Herbs Play in Treating Androgenic Alopecia?
The production of hormones like DHT can be significantly affected by various factors, including the ingredients that you use on your hair. Certain herbs have a natural inhibiting effect on your body’s DHT production when they are applied topically, and these herbs can play key roles in your hair loss prevention regimen.
When you use hair products that contain DHT-blocking ingredients, you can help to reset your hair’s natural cycle of growth. DHT causes your hair follicles to spend more time resting than growing, but natural blockers of DHT can help to reverse the effects of the hormone on your follicles. These ingredients can be used in shampoo, conditioner, or other topical hair products.
DHT-Blocking Herbs To Use In Your Hair Care Regimen
So, which herbs can you use to naturally block DHT production?
Two of the most powerful herbs for hair growth that you should know about are saw palmetto and stinging nettle. These are two of the key ingredients in GroMD’s shampoo, conditioner, and follicle activator spray. We chose to include these herbs in our products because of their natural DHT-blocking properties and ability to reduce irritation in your scalp.
- By naturally inhibiting the production of DHT, saw palmetto and stinging nettle can play key roles in getting your hair’s natural growth cycle back on track. These herbs can help to prompt your hair follicles to move out of the telogen (rest) phase of growth into the anagen (growth) stage.
- If you are experiencing any irritation or dryness as side effects of topical hair loss prevention treatments like Rogaine, stinging nettle is one ingredient that can help. This herb has been found to reduce scalp irritation, making it an ideal herbal remedy for the side effects of minoxidil. GroMD shampoo and conditioner also contain argan oil, which has a hydrating, soothing effect on your hair and scalp. The combination of these two natural ingredients can help to keep dryness and irritation at bay.
- Sticking with natural ingredients like saw palmetto and stinging nettle helps you take the best possible care of your hair and scalp. GroMD’s hair products are free of sulfates, parabens, and other artificial ingredients that can potentially irritate your scalp and counteract your hair loss prevention efforts.
Use GroMD Hair Products to Supply Your Follicles With Growth-Boosting Herbs
GroMD’s shampoo, conditioner, and follicle activator spray are packed with ingredients that help to minimize the follicle-shrinking, growth-slowing effects of DHT on your hair. These natural ingredients, including saw palmetto and stinging nettle, are perfect for boosting your hair’s growth rate and getting you back to a full, thick, great-looking head of hair.
Making GroMD products a key part of your hair care regimen is simple – follow the steps below to make the most of our shampoo, conditioner, and follicle activator spray.
- Use our shampoo, conditioner, and follicle activator spray daily for best results. GroMD products are designed for daily use, and they are most effective when you use them to care for your hair consistently. You can use the shampoo and conditioner combo to wash and moisturize your hair in the shower each day, then wrap up your hair care routine with follicle activator spray.
- Let the shampoo and conditioner sit in your hair for several minutes before rinsing. To give the beneficial ingredients in the shampoo and conditioner combo time to work, work the combo into a rich lather in your hands, massage it into your hair and scalp, then let it sit. You can take a few minutes to wash your body before you rinse off.
- Pair GroMD products with minoxidil to make a hard-hitting combination. Our shampoo, conditioner, and follicle activator spray are designed to pair perfectly with other topical hair loss prevention treatments, including minoxidil. Also known as Rogaine, minoxidil is a highly effective topical treatment, but it is also known to produce some uncomfortable side effects. The nourishing, moisturizing ingredients in GroMD products can help keep your hair from getting dried out and your scalp from getting irritated while using minoxidil.
What Other Ingredients Are Included in GroMD’s Shampoo and Conditioner?
In addition to stinging nettle and saw palmetto, there are plenty of other highly beneficial ingredients included in GroMD hair products. Formulated to block DHT, boost hair growth, and leave your hair feeling and looking incredible, our signature blend of ingredients is backed by science and has yielded significant results for many users.
We combined multiple natural blockers of DHT, including caffeine, niacinamide, pumpkin seed extract, and more, to create a powerful blend that can help you prevent and reverse hair loss through daily use. By washing your hair with GroMD’s shampoo and conditioner and using our follicle activator spray each day, you can take great care of thinning hair and work towards the growth that you had lost to androgenic alopecia.
You can find all of our products, including our DHT-blocking shampoo and conditioner, right here.
Dr. Amir Yazdan, MD, is an internationally renowned hair transplant surgeon, expert guest on Dr. Phil and The Doctors, creator of the GroMD hair restoration product line, ISHRS member, accredited member of the IAHRS and a visceral advocate for patient care. Learn more about Dr. Yazdan or read rave reviews from his patients.